Do You Now That The Most Dangerous Creature On The Planet Can Be Killed With A Rolled Up Newspaper?
It’s true. Of all the creatures on the planet, mosquitoes are the deadliest. They are directly connected to the deaths of over 1 million people every year, according to the World Health Organization. Not because they have sharp teeth, poisonous venom, or claws, but because they have the potential to carry deadly viruses in their bodies.
While there is certainly less to worry about in the United States, where the mosquito control efforts of homeowners, business owners, and government municipalities have done a good job of minimizing cases of infection, there is still a danger. West Nile, malaria, dengue, yellow fever, chikungunya, and now the Zika virus are able to cause an outbreak in any town or city that has an airport. Why? Because these viruses most often enter our country inside human hosts. Then, once here, they are like a bomb waiting to go off. When local mosquitoes contract these viruses from infected travelers the viruses can spread quickly with little or no warning. That is why it is so important to avoid mosquito bites.
Avoiding Mosquito Bites Inside The House
- Window and door screens are the first defense against mosquito bites. When these biters examine your exterior walls, let them find all of your screens in perfect condition.
- Mosquitoes can crawl past damaged weather stripping on doors. Examine all your weather stripping periodically to make sure you don’t have damaged bristles.
- Keeping your doors closed, especially in the morning and evening when mosquitoes are more active, should always be a priority. When you’re bringing groceries in, consider refraining from leaving the door open. If you have children that enter and exit the home frequently, establish ways to remind them how important it is to keep the door closed.
Avoiding Bites While You Enjoy Your Property
- Mosquitoes are horrible fliers. That is why you’ll notice fewer mosquitoes if there is a good breeze. On days where there is no breeze, consider using fans to create one. This is a great all-natural mosquito deterrent for back porches and patios or in areas next to the pool where you sun yourself.
- Don’t purchase a zapper to rid your property of mosquitoes. Studies have shown that zappers will work to draw mosquitoes onto your property, but they are only effective at killing male mosquitoes. Since female mosquitoes are the ones that bite, this solution will only increase your chances of being bitten.
- There are protective outfits made from netting that can protect you while you’re out in your yard mowing or doing some activity that would normally expose you to bites.
- Get rid of standing water on your property. These are breeding sites for mosquitoes. If you have fewer mosquitoes breeding in your yard, you’ll have fewer bites.
- Professional mosquito abatement can get rid of adult mosquitoes on your property as well as the eggs they leave on your property. When you have proactive treatments that kill eggs, you won’t have an army of mosquitoes hatching every time it rains.
Avoiding Bites When You’re Out In Nature
- Mosquito repellent is still the single most effective way to prevent bites. Purchase a repellent with DEET, or oil of eucalyptus if you prefer something more natural.
- Wear long sleeves and pants when possible and spray repellent on your clothing for added protection. Mosquitoes can draw blood from your skin, even through some fabrics.
- Mosquitoes use dark silhouettes to track their targets. If you wear light colors, you can make it more difficult for them to lock onto you.
Avoiding Mosquito Bites When Traveling To Another Country
If you’re traveling to another country, especially one that is known to have widespread issues with viruses like Zika, malaria, and dengue, take extra precautions. If you’re staying somewhere that isn’t protected, be sure to sleep inside netting. Mosquitoes are worse at night in temperate climates. Visit http://www.cdc.gov/ for more information and health alerts.
Mosquitoes are not an insect to take lightly. The illnesses they spread can be life-altering and even deadly. Protect your home, your family, and your community with mosquito reduction services from Mosquito Killers. Before infected mosquitoes come to bite, take action, and get the MistAway Mosquito Misting System.